- Yield: 2 cups (500 g)
- 4 cups (620 g) cherries, pitted and chopped
- ¾ cup (165 g) sugar
- Three 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces of vanilla bean, or 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
How to Make It
- Combine the cherries and sugar in a medium non-reactive saucepan. Let it sit for an hour, or until the sugar is partially liquefied.
- Add the vanilla to the cherries and boil over medium-high heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If using vanilla beans, fish them out and discard them. Add the lemon juice. Boil for another 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches 220°F (105°C).
- If you are canning, fill the jars, leaving ¼ inch (6.5 mm) of headspace, and process them in a water bath for 10 minutes. Otherwise, let the jam cool completely before refrigerating or freezing in airtight containers. Refrigerate for up to 3 weeks or freeze for up to a year; thaw in the refrigerator.