Well, it is now! It’s nice to be able to make a batch and have it handy for tacos, tamales, or even just with some avocados and sour cream for low-carb snacking.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder or regular ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cotija cheese, and/or tortillas, for serving (optional)
How to Make It
- In the Instant Pot, combine the onion and garlic and toss to combine. Place the pork in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, ancho chile powder, chipotle chile powder, and paprika and stir to thoroughly combine. Sprinkle the seasonings over the pork. Drizzle with the lemon juice. Toss until everything is well coated.
- Place the pork on top of the onions and garlic in the Instant Pot. Pour the water into the large bowl and swirl to rinse out the last of the spices; pour the water over the pork.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and set the pot at high pressure for 35 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed until the pressure has released. Transfer the pork to a shallow dish or large bowl.
- Select saute. Allow the sauce to reduce while you finish the dish.
- Using two forks, shred the meat. Heat the coconut oil in a large cast-iron pan over high heat. Lay the shredded meat in a flat layer in the pan and let it sit undisturbed. When it starts to brown, stir, then keep cooking until well crisped. Add a little of the concentrated sauce to the skillet. (The skillet should be hot enough that most of the sauce just evaporates, leaving behind the flavor. I use almost all of the sauce, small portions at a time, to flavor the meat.) Select cancel.
- Serve the pork with guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cotija, and/or tortillas, if desired.