Hummus—that perfect blend of chickpeas, lemon, and tahini—has become one of the most popular dips in the world. This version is flavored with roasted red peppers, giving it a juicy, peppery taste. Hummus is easy to customize: For a classic hummus, omit the red pepper or substitute fresh cilantro and lime for a fresh and tangy taste.
- Yield: 1 pound (454 g)
- 1 can (14 ounces, or 400 g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 jarred roasted red bell pepper or 2 tablespoons (30 g) Homemade Harissa
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (50 ml) fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) tahini
- ¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- Water, to thin the consistency
- In a blender or food processer, combine all the ingredients, except the water, and process until smooth. Add water to thin the hummus to your desired consistency. Taste and adjust the seasonings with more lemon juice or salt if needed.