- Yield: 12 Servings
- 2 pounds ground beef or turkey
- 1½ cups chopped onions
- One 10- ounce can diced tomatoes and chiles
- 4 to 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound cooked pinto beans, mashed, or two 15- ounce cans refried beans
- 5 cups shredded Cheddar
- 1 cup chopped stuffed green olives
- Corn chips, tortilla chips, or flour tortillas
How to Make It
- Add the ground beef to a large skillet and cook over medium- high heat, breaking the meat up with a fork. When the beef starts to change color, about 5 minutes, add 1 cup of the chopped onions and sauté until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and chiles, chili powder, cumin seeds, and garlic salt. Simmer until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook until thoroughly heated. Add 4 cups of the shredded Cheddar. Serve immediately, refrigerate, or freeze.
- When ready to serve, pour the mixture into a large chafing dish or crockpot. Arrange the chopped olives in a mound in the center. Circle with a ring of the remaining ½ cup chopped onions and 1 cup Cheddar. Serve with corn chips or tortilla chips, or spread on fl our tortillas.