This salad is nice for company, especially with flavorful juicy peaches we are sometimes lucky to find at the market. The salad also features fresh mozzarella marinated in lemon, garlic, and basil. The marinade/dressing, along with the mozzarella, is then poured over the baby kale and sliced peaches. Easy and delicious.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) container small, fresh mozzarella balls, cut in half or into quarters
- 6 cups baby kale (stemmed, rinsed, and dried)
- 1 large or 2 medium juicy, ripe peaches or nectarines
Make the Marinade/Dressing
- In a medium bowl, combine the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the basil and mozzarella and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes (longer is okay, too).
- Place the baby kale in a wide salad bowl. Just before serving, pour the mozzarella and all the marinade/dressing onto the kale salad and toss gently with tongs. Peel the peaches and slice fairly thinly. (Nectarines don’t usually need to be peeled.) Add to the salad, and serve immediately.