This recipe is an adaptation of “Asaro” from the Yoruba culture of Nigeria. “Asaro” is a mushy pottage prepared by cooking yam in a tomato-based sauce. Potatoes are easier to source and contain less sugars compared to yam.
- Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- 8 medium potatoes (peeled)
- 1 cup tinned plum tomatoes
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 small scotch bonnet pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium sweet red bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons seasoning powder or equivalent
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
How to Make It
- Chop the potatoes into small dices.
- Blend plum tomatoes and peppers until smooth.
- Place a pot on medium heat and add vegetable oil.
- Add chopped onions and fry for a minute or two.
- Add blended tomatoes, dried mixed herbs and seasoning cubes and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, mix with a wooden spoon and reduce heat to low then allow to slow cook for a further 10 minutes
- Mix again and check that potatoes are soft and dissolve easily.
- Turn off heat and serve.
- May garnish with chopped parsley.