Newfoundland and Labrador has a thriving aquaculture industry. One of our most popular products is steelhead trout. Baie d’Espoir, in southern Newfoundland, is one of the communities where this tasty fish is farmed.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 steelhead fillets, 5 oz (150 g) each
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flour
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) pecans, chopped
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp (7 ml) honey
How to Make It
- Heat oven to 200 F (95 C). Sprinkle fillets with salt and dredge in flour. Shake off excess flour. Melt 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter in large frying pan on medium high. Place fish in pan and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove fillets to baking sheet and keep warm in oven.
- Melt remaining butter in frying pan on medium high. Add pecans and cayenne pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in red pepper, lemon juice, and honey. Bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened. Serve fish with sauce poured on top.