Roasting fruit is always a great idea because it gives such a delicious concentrated and rich fruit flavor to a dish. Here I’ve gone one step further by adding balsamic vinegar to the mix, which brings out the natural sweetness of the strawberries even more! Swirling the strawberries with rich and creamy coconut milk makes the perfect popsicle that is a fun play on the classic pairing of strawberries and cream.
- Yield: 8 popsicles
- 1 lb (454 g) strawberries
- ¼ cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
- 2 tbsp (4 g) chopped basil
- 1½ cups (360 ml) coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C). Hull the strawberries and chop them roughly. Put them in a baking dish and toss them with the balsamic vinegar and honey. Roast for 30 minutes, until the juices released by the strawberries are bubbling and the fruit is soft.
- Transfer the roasted strawberries and all the pan juices to a blender. Add the basil and blend until smooth.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of the roasted strawberry mixture into the bottom of each popsicle mold, then divide the coconut milk evenly between the molds. Top the popsicles with the remaining strawberry mixture. Freeze the popsicles for 30 minutes before sliding a popsicle stick into each mold. Return to the freezer and freeze until solid, at least 4 hours. Run the popsicle mold under a little warm water to release the popsicles when you’re ready to eat them.