Forget about thick, stodgy oatmeal this healthier, lighter, dairy-free porridge is made with high-fiber barley flakes for an energizing start to the day.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 2 cups barley flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1½ cups cold water
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 teaspoons maca
- 2 peaches, halved, pitted, and sliced
- 1 papaya, halved, seeded, peeled, and sliced
- 4 teaspoons honey, plus extra to serve
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
How to Make It
- Put the barley flakes, rolled oats, water, and almond milk into a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium–high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5–10 minutes, stirring often, until soft and thickened. Stir in the maca.
- Meanwhile, preheat the broiler to medium–high. Line the broiler rack with aluminum foil, then lay the peaches and papaya on top, drizzle with the honey, and sprinkle with the cinnamon. Broil for 3–4 minutes, or until hot and just beginning to caramelize.
- Spoon the porridge into bowls, top with the hot peaches and papaya, and drizzle with a little extra honey, if desired.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.