These are like a cake bar swirled with chocolate and packed with chocolate chips. Yum! I love these.
- Yield: 2 dozen
- ¼ cup (50 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1½ cups (345 g) plus 1 tablespoon (15 g) packed brown sugar, divided
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) plus 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water, divided
- ½ cup (125 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 2 cups (250 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ¼ cup (30 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 2½ teaspoons (11.5 g) baking powder
- 0.66 cup (117 g) Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon (5.4 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- In a medium saucepan, combine shortening, 1½ cups (345 g) brown sugar, 1⁄3 cup (80 ml) water, and applesauce. Cook over low heat until smooth, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and next 4 ingredients (through baking powder) with a wooden spoon. Stir until batter is smooth.
- Quickly stir in chocolate chips and spread into a greased 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking pan.
- Combine cocoa, remaining 1 tablespoon (15 g) brown sugar, and remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water and stir until you have a paste. Drop chocolate mixture by teaspoonfuls around the pan. Run a knife through the batter to create a swirl pattern.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until sides are golden and center is soft to the touch. Cool completely. Cut into bars.