- Yield: 3 cups frosting
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, divided, plus 2–3 tablespoons as needed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk, plus 2–3 tablespoons if needed
How to Make It
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together butter and 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Add vanilla extract and milk and slowly add remaining powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Take a spatula and run it through your frosting to form small peaks. If the peaks keep their shape and don’t fall over it’s stiff enough to pipe. If the peaks fall over, add more powdered sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time. Continue to add either milk or powdered sugar until desired consistency is met.
- If storing, place in an airtight container and place on counter for up to 2 weeks. If using right away, place frosting in a cake-decorating bag with a #1M cake-decorating tip or tip of your choice.
- Working from the outside in, pipe your frosting in a circular motion until you have a small peak of icing.