This fabulous quick lunch is infinitely adaptable. Try sautéeing 200 g mushrooms along with the garlic and a little chopped sage. Or leave out the cream and toast and use the oniony livers as the base of a salad with rocket and sliced radishes.
Don’t be tempted to overcook the chicken livers 2 minutes either side is long enough to cook them while retaining their gorgeous creaminess.
- Yield: 4 Servings (as a starter, or 2 for lunch)
- 400 g chicken livers
- 5 g butter
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 tbsp Madeira (or port or dry sherry)
- 180 ml double cream
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 generous slices of good bread
- A handful of parsley, finely chopped
- Trim the chicken livers, removing any tubes and discoloured bits, keeping them whole. Set aside.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, add the onions, season and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn the heat down a little and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 10 minutes or so, until soft and caramelised. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further 3–4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the garlicky onions to a bowl.
- Turn the heat under the pan up to medium-high. Add the chicken livers, season well with salt and pepper and cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Turn the livers and cook for a further 2 minutes they should be brown on the outside and a little pink in the middle. Remove the livers with a slotted spoon and add to the onions.
- Turn the heat up to high and pour in the Madeira. Set it alight with a long match to burn off the alcohol. As the flames die down, scrape up any burnt bits from the bottom of the pan and stir them into the liquid, using a wooden spoon. Add the cream to the pan and boil rapidly, stirring, for 2 minutes to reduce the liquid a little. Meanwhile, toast the slices of bread.
- Pile the onions and liver onto the warm toast slices, spooning on as much sauce as you fancy. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.