- Yield: 8 to 10 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
For the Anchovy Spread
- 9 oz (250 g) canned anchovies, drained
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ lemon juice and zest
- 7 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3⅓ cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2½ cups (320 g) chickpea flour
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley for garnish (optional)
How to Make It
To make the Anchovy spread
- Use a mortar and pestle to crush the anchovies, garlic, and lemon zest to a fine paste. Mix in the extra-virgin olive oil and lemon juice.(Alternatively, you can use a blender, which will make for a smoother paste). Season with pepper. The spread will keep for up to 4 days.
- In a large bowl, whisk the water and salt into the chickpea flour to make a smooth paste. Refrigerate the batter for at least 1 hour, or up to overnight.
- Rub a large nonstick frying pan with some of the oil, then place over high heat until very hot. Whisk the batter. Pour a ladleful of the batter into the pan and swirl it around (like you would when making a crêpe) and sprinkle with some sliced onion. Cook for a couple of minutes, until golden, before flipping and cooking on the other side. Transfer to a low oven while you cook the rest. Repeat until all the batter is used, greasing the pan with more oil before cooking each pancake.
- Spread each socca with some of the anchovy paste and roll up or cut like a pizza. Serve immediately, sprinkled with parsley, if desired.