These are really moist brownies. The coconut makes it quite sweet and a little heavier.
- Yield: 24 squares
- 18 oz (500 g) softened butter
- 7 oz (200 g) sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 4 oz (100 g) good quality cocoa powder
- 3½ oz (100 ml) golden syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 free-range eggs
- 6 oz (175 g) plain flour
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 7 oz (200 ml) double cream
- 9 oz (250 g) coconut flakes
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tbsp vanilla sugar
- Butter for greasing
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 4).
- Beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla sugar until white and creamy.
- Mix in the cocoa, syrup and salt.
- Add the eggs, one at a time and then the flour last. Make the Coconut Batter
- Mix the sugar, cream, coconut flakes, egg whites and vanilla sugar in a bowl.
- Place baking parchment on the bottom of a baking tin and butter the sides.
- Spread the brownie batter in the dish and spoon/drizzle the coconut batter over it.
- Use a knife to draw a pattern through the cake, so it looks marbled.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for around 25 minutes. Test for doneness in the middle of the cake; it should be a little sticky in the middle.
- Let it cool and then cut into squares.