- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 20 Minutes
- ¼ cup roasted pistachios or toasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups yogurt
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 small melon like honeydew, cantaloupe, or casaba,
- peeled, seeded, and grated, shredded, julienned, or
- finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange or lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder or a pinch cayenne
How to Make It
- Use the flat side of a wide knife or cleaver, or a small food processor, to break the pistachios or pumpkin seeds into large pieces. .
- Vigorously whisk together the yogurt, milk, mint, and a sprinkle of salt in a bowl until you smell the mint, just a minute or so. Push the mixture through a fine-meshed strainer. Discard the mint.
- Put the melon, orange juice, and chili powder in a blender with the yogurt mixture and purée until smooth. Transfer to a storage container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally (the fruit will release liquid, which will become part of the soup). Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, then serve with a sprinkle of pistachios,
- COOL CUCUMBER-YOGURT SOUP WITH NUTS A bit more savory: Keep the pistachios and mint, but use cucumber and lemon juice instead of the melon and orange or lime juice. Omit the chili powder and add 1 teaspoon curry powder.
- YOGURT SOUP WITH FRESH PEAS Instead of pistachios, use cashews; replace the mint with ¼ cup chopped fresh tarragon. In Step 3, omit the melon, juice, and chili powder. Parboil 2 cups fresh peas (or use frozen peas directly from the bag) and add them to the blender along with 1 teaspoon sugar.