Sri Lankan crab is famous throughout the region. Fresh crabs, so plentiful in the seas here, are simmered to perfection in a spiced coconut curry gravy.
- 4 lbs (2 kgs) fresh crabs
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 green finger-length chilies, chopped
- 3½ tablespoons Roasted Curry Powder (page 148) 2 teaspoons ground turmeric ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 2 teaspoons tamarind pulp soaked in 2 tablespoons water, stirred and strained to obtain juice
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 4 cups (1 liter) thick coconut milk 2 teaspoon ground mustard Juice of 1 lime Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make It
- Clean the crabs, divide each into 4 portions, and place in a large pan. Add all the other ingredients except coconut milk, mustard powder, lime juice, and salt.
- Bring to a boil then add the coconut milk, return the mixture to simmering point, and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Add the lime juice, mustard powder, and salt, and stir for a few minutes until the flavors are married.