Forget about coleslaw coated in thick, high-calorie mayonnaise. This version is tossed with a tangy orange and olive oil dressing flavored with chia seeds and toasted walnuts.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 3 Minutes
- 1½ cups thinly shredded red cabbage
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 red-skinned sweet, crisp apple, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup alfalfa and sango radish sprouts
- ⅓ cup coarsely chopped walnuts juice of 1 orange
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- salt and pepper, to taste
How to Make It
- Put the red cabbage, carrot, and cauliflower into a salad bowl. Add the apple, dried cranberries, and sprouts and toss well.
- To make the dressing, put the walnuts in a large skillet and toast for 2–3 minutes, or until just beginning to brown.
- Put the orange juice, oil, and chia seeds in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, then stir in the hot walnuts. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Serve immediately or cover and chill in the refrigerator until needed.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.