A delightful soup, rich with coconut milk and fragrant with the elusive flavor of galangal. Reduce the amount of chilies if you don’t want the soup to be too spicy.
- 4 cups (1 liter) Thai Chicken Stock
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, smashed with the back of a cleaver
- 2 in (5 cm) galangal root, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, torn into small pieces
- 12 oz (375 g) boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 12 fresh or canned straw mushrooms or small button mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups (750 ml) thin coconut milk
- 2-3 red bird's-eye chilies, bruised
How to Make It
- Place the Chicken Stock in a pot and add the lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add the chicken, mushrooms, salt, lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Reduce the heat to low and cook slowly, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until the chicken changes color, then add the coconut milk and chilies. Bring almost to a boil, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes, then remove from the heat and serve.