Just as it says in the title, this dessert is as decadent as it gets chocolate chips, banana and custard, all in a baked dessert. It’s my take on a classic English pud.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- 25 g vegan butter, plus extra for greasing
- 8 thin slices Chocolate chip banana bread
- scant ½ cup (100 ml) cashew milk or rice milk
- 300 ml vegan custard
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
How to Make It
- Grease a 13 cm (5 in) pie dish with vegan butter.
- Spread each slice of banana bread on one side with butter, then cut into triangles. Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, and repeat to use all the slices.
- Gently warm the milk and custard in a pan over a low heat to scalding point, but don’t let it boil. Add three-quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk to combine. Pour the custard over the bread layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar, then leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/350°F/gas 4.
- Bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden brown.