If your tastes lean toward a cookie that’s crisp and not too sweet, this one is for you. Pack them in cellophane bags and tie with bakery string for a very pretty teacher gift, especially if you include a handwritten copy of the recipe as the gift tag.
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature,
- plus more for greasing the pan
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Add the egg, orange zest, and vanilla. Beat on high speed for 30 seconds. Add the flour and beat on low speed just until combined. Drop small spoonfuls of dough onto the prepared pan 2 inches apart.
- Bake until the edges are browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool completely on the pan. The cookies will keep in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.