- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 Minutes
- 5 pounds fava beans in the shell
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 large shallots, minced (about ¼ cup)
- One ¼-inch-thick slice serrano ham or prosciutto (about 2 ounces), cut into ¼-inch dice (about 1/3 cup)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more, for garnish Kosher or fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
- Shell, blanch, and peel the favas. You will have about 3 cups.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until foaming. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the ham and stir until you smell it, then add the beans and stir gently to coat with butter.
- Pour in the cream, add the thyme, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low, cover the pan, and cook until the favas are tender and the cream is almost absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt if necessary (the ham is salty) and season with pepper to taste. Garnish with thyme sprigs.