This chocolatey flourless brownie is amazingly good and is the ultimate treat for gluten-intolerant guests.
- Yield: 12 squares
- 7 oz (200 g) butter
- 14 oz (400 g) good quality dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
- 6 free-range eggs
- 10 oz (300 g) sugar
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out
- 5 oz (150 g) walnuts, coarsely chopped, plus a few halves to decorate
- 3 oz (75 g) good quality cocoa powder
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 finely grated orange zest
- Lightly whipped cream, to serve
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/gas 6).
- Melt the butter and chocolate, mix until smooth and let cool.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla seeds until white and fluffy.
- Add the chopped walnuts, cocoa, salt and orange zest to the batter.
- Carefully fold the melted chocolate and butter into it.
- Place baking parchment on the bottom of a baking tin and fill the dish with the batter.
- Garnish the surface with whole walnuts.
- Bake the cake in the middle of the oven for 20–25 minutes. It should be firm when you carefully shake the tin, but soft in the middle, because otherwise it gets too crumbly.
- Let the cake cool, slice it into squares and serve with cream.