This warming and colorful salad combines freekeh, an ancient Middle Eastern grain, with spiced roasted squash and sweet, sticky dates, making it an utterly divine dinner idea for cold winter evenings.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, seeded and cut into ¾ in (2 cm) cubes
- 1 cup cracked freekeh
- 1 small head radicchio, roughly chopped
- 8 dried pitted dates, about 1½ oz (40 g) in total, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
For the dressing
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Combine the spices and olive oil in a small bowl. Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet and coat with the spice mixture. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, rinse the freekeh and place in a large saucepan. Cover with 3½ cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, or until almost all the water has been absorbed. Remove from the heat, drain any remaining water, and allow to cool slightly.
- For the dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl. Season to taste and whisk to combine. Place the radicchio and dates in a large serving dish. Add the squash and freekeh, pour over the dressing, season to taste, and toss until well combined. Serve warm, garnished with parsley.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.