- Yield: 3 Dozen
- ½ cup (125 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup (60 g) powdered sugar
- ½ 2 cup (100 g) superfine sugar
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) cream of tartar
- 1½ cups (185 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- ¼ cup (50 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) water
- 2 cups (240 g) powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons (11 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- To make the cookies: Cream together applesauce, sugars, vanilla, shortening, and salt. Add the remaining cookie ingredients, start the mixer slow, and work up to medium speed. Mix until batter is smooth.
- Pinch off 1 to 2 teaspoons (5 to 10 g) of dough and roll into balls, or use a small ice cream/cookie scoop and drop dough onto a baking sheet. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and cool. To make the frosting
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Frost each cooled cookie.