- 75 g (2½ oz) frozen cubed butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100 g (3½ oz/⅔ cup) fine cornmeal or polenta • 10 g (½ oz) ground ginger
- 50 g (2 oz/¼ cup) soft brown sugar • pinch of salt
- 30 g (1 oz) blanched almonds, roughly chopped
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F/Gas 4). Butter a 20 cm (8 in) round springform tin and line it with baking paper.
- Place everything, with the exception of the almonds, into the cup of your blender, shake to distribute and blitz to a biscuit dough consistency. Add the almonds to the dough, give a gentle stir,
- then blitz again (it’s good to keep them a little chunky). Tip the ginger dough into the prepared tin and press down firmly to form an even layer. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, unless you’re using this base with a cheesecake top that requires baking, in which case there is no need to precook it – just layer on your topping and bake both at the same time.