- Yield: 2 dozen
- ¼ cup (85 g) unsulfured molasses
- ½ cup (125 g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1½ cups (345 g) packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup (28 g) flax meal
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla
- 2 cups (250 g) Bob’s Red Mill brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons (9.2 g) baking powder
- 1 teaspoons (3.6 g) ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (35 g) crystallized ginger, sliced into small pieces
- Powdered sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- In a saucepan stir together molasses, applesauce, brown sugar, flax, and vanilla. Cook over low heat until well combined, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Blend in flour and next 3 ingredients (through cinnamon) until smooth. Stir in crystallized ginger.
- Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Center will be soft and will sink slightly. Let cool completely. Sift powdered sugar over top. Cut into bars.