We served this salad the day we opened the Field Kitchen and use various versions of it throughout the summer. It is one of the recipes we are often asked for, so here it is…
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 200 g dried cannellini or haricot beans, soaked in cold water overnight and then drained
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 courgettes, cut into ribbons 5 mm thick
- a small punnet of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Dressing
- a bunch of basil
- ½ garlic clove, crushed
- 100 ml olive oil
- a pinch of salt
How to Make It
- Put the drained beans in a large pan, cover with fresh water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an hour or so, until tender.
- Drain, season to taste and dress with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Toss the courgettes with the remaining olive oil and grill on a ridged griddle pan (or under a hot grill) until tender and lightly charred.
- For the dressing, put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and whiz until smooth.
- Gently mix the beans, tomatoes and courgettes together in a large bowl and add enough basil dressing to coat. Taste and adjust the seasoning.