- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ pound chicken or turkey Italian sausage (about 4 links), casing removed
- 1 recipe Pizza Dough, or 1 pound fresh store-bought pizza dough
- 1½ cups shredded Manchego cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Caramelized Onions
- ¼ cup torn fresh basil leaves
How to Make It
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and brown for 6 to 7 minutes, breaking up the meat with a spatula as it cooks. Once cooked through and broken up into crumbles, remove from the heat and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Lightly flour two rimless baking sheets. Divide purchased pizza dough in half (if using). Working with dough half at a time, roll out on lightly floured surface to a 12-x-8-inch oval or a 10-inch round. Transfer to baking sheets. Spray top of flatbreads with olive oil spray.
- Heat the barbecue to medium-high heat. Make sure your barbecue has a lid and place all topping ingredients next to the grill.
- Place the flatbreads on foil-lined baking sheets and spray each side with olive oil cooking spray. Transfer the flatbreads to the grill and grill for 1½ to 2 minutes or until the dough begins to puff and light grill marks appear on the bottom.
- Using a large spatula, flip over the flatbreads or pizza rounds and move them to the coolest part of the grill. Spread each one evenly with a quarter of the cheeses, and half the sausage, onions, and basil. Top with the remaining cheese. Move them back to the center of the grill and cover for 3 minutes. Check and rotate them. Cover the grill and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully so they do not burn on the bottom. The cheese should be completely melted and the crust should be crisp and lightly charred. Remove from the grill and let cool for 5 minutes before cutting with a pizza wheel. Serve immediately.
- Alternatively, bake the flatbreads or pizza in the oven: Preheat the oven to 475°F. Place the crusts on perforated pizza pans. Poke the crust gently and evenly with a fork. Cook in the oven for 5 minutes, or until the crusts are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and spread evenly with the toppings. Return to the oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and lightly browned. Serve immediately.