- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 1 Hour
- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- 7 oz (200 g) haricot beans
- 1 lb (500 g) pancetta, cut into two pieces
- 8¾ oz (250 g) lacón (or pork shoulder)
- 1 beef bone
- 10½ pt (6 L) mineral water
- 1 LB (500 g) unto (Galician lard) or regular lard if unavailable
- 3 large potatoes, peeled & roughly chopped into small chunks
- 3 handfuls of turnip tops (or kale or cabbage if unavailable)
- salt, to taste
How to Make It
- Put the beans, pancetta, lacón (or pork shoulder) and the beef bone in a large saucepan, and cover with the cold mineral water. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Add the unto (or lard), along with the potatoes. If using turnip tops, blanch them briefly in boiling water and add to the beans and meat. Kale or cabbage can be added directly.
- Cook for another 10 minutes and then remove the lacón (or pork shoulder), the unto (or skim off the lard) and the beef bone. Season to taste, and serve.