Here’s an elegant soup that is actually simplicity itself to make. This Brazilian sopa de palmito uses just a few simple ingredients to make a creamy, tangy soup in minutes. It’s a super-simple pour-and-cook recipe that makes a great side dish, or serve it as a full meal with a side salad or bread. The best part is that it tastes great either hot or chilled.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained, liquid reserved, and coarsely chopped
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- ¼ cup finely chopped scallions
- In the Instant Pot, combine the hearts of palm and their liquid, the broth, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and set the pot at high pressure for 5 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup directly in the pot until smooth.
- Stir in the cream, cheese, and nutmeg. Pulse the soup with the immersion blender until everything is well incorporated.
- Garnish with the chopped scallions and additional nutmeg and cheese, and serve.