Kalai Daal or Biuli Daal is an everyday daal in the Eastern coastal state of Bengal. Known for being fish centric, there are many lesser known vegetarian dishes too in Bengali cuisine.
- 1 cup Dehusked Split Black Gram (white urad daal)
- 2 inch ginger root
- 2 Tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 green chilies – jalapeno or Serrano
- 3 Tbsp mustard oil or canola oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
How to Make It
- Cook urad daal in pressure cooker. Alternatively, use the stove top method.
- Soak the fennel seeds in hot water for some time, and then grind to a paste with ginger.
- Heat oil in a wok and let it start smoking.
- Add chopped green chilies and the spice paste.
- Fry until aromatic and oil leaves the sides.
- Add a bit of water to prevent sticking and fry the spices for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add the daal and 2-3 cups of water.
- Add salt and sugar and bring to a boil. Simmer while stirring. The daal is sticky and will easily stick to the pot.