- Yield: 36 Squares
- ½ cup (1 stick) salted butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup English walnuts or pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a Lodge 10½-inch cast iron square skillet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the butter, flour, and granulated sugar; mix until smooth and creamy. Spread the dough evenly in the prepared skillet. Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- While the pastry bakes, combine the eggs, brown sugar, and flour in another medium bowl; mix until smooth. Stir in the walnuts.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Pour the filling evenly over the browned crust, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- While the filling bakes, combine the melted butter, milk, and confectioners’ sugar in a small bowl, stirring well. When the filling is done, spread the glaze over it while still hot. Let cool, and cut into squares.