Peach season is one glorious month in Indiana. Alex and I make peach salsa, my mom’s custardy peach pie, and caprese salads with peaches and burrata cheese. We also make this side salad as an accompaniment for grilled meals on the patio. It’s a summer variation of our Crisp Green Salad with Apple and Honey Mustard Vinaigrette, starring juicy ripe peaches, crunchy hazelnuts, creamy goat cheese, and bursts of fresh sweet corn, smothered in a maple balsamic vinaigrette. Adding a protein like grilled chicken makes it into a satisfying main dish.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 4 cups baby arugula, loosely packed
- 3 small ripe peaches (or 2 large)
- ½ cup fresh corn kernels*
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
- Make the vinaigrette: In a medium bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, mustard, kosher salt, and several grinds of black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and whisk until fully combined. Continue adding the remaining olive oil 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking until all 6 tablespoons are added and the dressing is creamy and emulsified.
- Prepare the fresh ingredients: Wash and dry the greens as necessary. Slice the peaches. Cut the corn off of the cob.
- Toast the nuts: In a small dry skillet, toast the hazelnuts over medium-low heat until golden and fragrant, stirring frequently and watching carefully, 3 to 5 minutes.
- To serve, mix the greens with about half of the dressing and place them on individual plates or in bowls. Top with the peaches, hazelnuts, goat cheese, and corn, and drizzle with the remaining dressing.