“Moi Moi” is a Nigerian favourite, prepared by steaming or baking beans mixture to produce a soft fluffy cake/pudding. Edible meat or fish or eggs are usually added to the beans mixture before steaming or baking.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- 2 cups black-eyed beans (soaked in warm water for an hour or more prior)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons seasoning powder of choice or equivalent
How to Make It
- Add black-eyed beans to a food processor with s-blade attachment, pulse a few times to peel the skin from beans.
- Pour beans into a bowl and add a generous amount of water.
- Drain the excess water and beans skin into a sieve.
- Add more water to the beans and repeat step 3 several times until beans looks generally peeled at least about 90% peeled.
- Add half of the peeled beans, half red bell pepper and half onions to a blender with ½ cup of water.
- Blend until smooth then pour batter into a bowl.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 for remaining beans.
- Mix all beans batter together in a bowl, add vegetable oil and add seasoning (1 teaspoon at a time until desired taste is reached).
- Pour batter into baking cups / baking tray.
- Place in a heated oven at 160° and leave to bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check it is baked by inserting a clean knife in the middle of beans cake, if it comes out mainly clean, it is fully baked if not, leave in for a few more minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve.