Adding chives to this pesto makes it a brilliant green, just like the green color in the Italian flag. Plus it makes for a smooth and creamy pesto. Make it ahead of time when basil and chives are in season. Label and store in your freezer for up to 6 months. You can use store-bought pesto, if you prefer.
- Yield: 4 (6- TO 8-Inch) Pizzas
- 1 cup roughly chopped onion or garlic chives
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup walnut halves or pieces, toasted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Classic Pizza Dough or Slow-Rise Pizza Dough
- All-purpose flour for rolling out and dusting
- Extra-virgin olive oil for brushing
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- Prepare an indirect medium-hot fire in your grill, with heat on one side and no heat on the other.
- For the chive-basil pesto, in a food processor, process the chives, basil, walnuts, and garlic to a fine paste. Slowly add the olive oil in a steady stream until the pesto is creamy and then add the cheese and pulse again. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions. On a floured surface, pat or roll each portion into a 6- to 8-inch-diameter circle.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush olive oil into a circle that’s a little larger than your pizza, and then place your pizza on the oiled circle. Brush the top of the pizza with olive oil.
- Lift the pizza by holding the ends of the parchment paper. At a height of about 6 inches above the grill, flip the circle of dough onto the hot side of the grill grates. Quickly peel off the parchment and close the lid. Grill the pizza for 2 to 3 minutes, or until it has good grill marks. Turn the pizza with tongs and move it to the indirect side. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of pesto onto the pizza and spread to cover, leaving a ½-inch border. Top with one quarter of the mozzarella. Cover and grill for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Repeat the process with the other pizzas and serve.