This is a wonderful pickle. Tangy, pungent and delicious, it’s long-lasting too.
- Yield: 1 kg (a large jar)
- 1 kg lemons
- 120 ml rapeseed oil
- 30 fresh curry leaves
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 2 cm ginger, peeled and grated
- 5 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 4 green finger chillies, sliced into thirds at an angle
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 30 g salt
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder
How to Make It
- Quarter each lemon, then quarter again. Sit the lemon pieces in one layer on a steamer over a medium heat, and steam for 8 to 10 minutes, until tender. Remove and keep to one side.
- Put the oil into a frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, add the curry leaves, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. When they crackle, add the ginger, garlic, green chillies, turmeric, salt and chilli powder and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
- Finally, add the steamed lemons. Stir-fry for another couple of minutes, then take off the heat. Leave to cool, and transfer to a very clean or sterilized jar, where it will keep for a month.