- Yield: 8 Servings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lard or olive oil (use olive oil to keep kosher)
- 1 small onion, diced and dusted with flour
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon kitchen pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cups (960 ml) beef, chicken, or vegetable broth
- 3 cups (750 ml) water
- 1 can (28 fl. oz. / 800 g) tomatoes with juice, or 3½ cups (630 g) peeled and diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 cups (200 g) fresh young okra, cut into small, thin pieces, or frozen okra pieces
- 2 cups (320 g) cooked rice, kept hot or warm (optional)
How to Make It
- In a Dutch oven, heat the butter and lard or olive oil until melted. Add the onion and finely chopped parsley and gently cook until the onion is translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more till fragrant.
- Add the thyme, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute or so. Add the broth, water, and tomatoes and cook on a medium simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the okra and cook for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender. Ladle into bowls over a ¼-cup (40 g) lump of warm rice each. Serve.