- Yield: 12 Servings
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 12⁄3 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup caramel apple dip
- ¼ cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat the bottoms of two 8- inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and line with wax paper. Coat the wax paper with nonstick cooking spray and dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- To prepare the cake, combine 1½ cups boiling water and the cocoa in a small bowl; whisk until well blended. Set aside to cool completely.
- Combine the sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; mix well. Add the flour mixture and cocoa mixture alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pans; sharply tap the pans once on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely on wire racks.