- Yield: 4 Servings
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup bread crumbs, preferably fresh (page 678)
- 1 pound paneer, queso de freír, halloumi, or other appropriate cheese (see “Cheeses That Keep Their Shape During Cooking,” page 556) or
- 1 recipe Fresh Cheese, the Easy Way (page 568), cut into ½-inch slices
- Olive oil for frying
How to Make It
- Mix together the flour and paprika on a plate. Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl, and put the bread crumbs on a plate. Dredge the cheese slices in the flour, then the beaten eggs, and finally the bread crumbs. If time allows, put the cheese on wax paper and refrigerate for an hour or longer.
- Put at least ⅛ inch oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, fry the cheese slices until golden brown, about 30 seconds, then turn and brown the other side. Drain on paper towels and serve as soon as possible.