- Yield: 70 to 80
- ½ oz (15 g) fresh yeast or 8 g (¼ oz) dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 6 oz (175 g) butter, melted
- ¼ pint (150 ml) yoghurt
- 1 egg
- ¾ lb (350 g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- 4 oz (110 g) sugar
How to Make It
- Place the yeast and sugar in a small bowl with 60 ml (2 fl oz) warm water, stir to dissolve and set aside in a warm place until the mixture begins to froth. Pour the butter into a large bowl and stir in the yoghurt and egg. Stir in the yeast mixture and the lemon essence. Gradually stir in the flour and mix until you have a soft dough. Add a little more flour if necessary. Knead for several minutes until smooth. Divide into 2 portions, wrap each in foil and refrigerate for several hours.
- Remove from the fridge, unwrap and leave for 10 minutes. Take one portion and half the sugar. Sprinkle a little of the sugar over the work top and roll out the dough into a rectangle about 3 mm (⅛in) thick. Sprinkle some of the sugar over the surface, fold in half and roll out to its original shape. Repeat this process twice more sprinkling the work top and the surface of the dough with a little sugar each time. Cut the final rectangle into strips 2 × 7.5 cm (¾ × 3 in). Using the thumb and forefinger of each hand pick up each strip and twist into a spiral. Place on greased baking trays about 1 cm (½in) apart. Repeat with remaining ball of dough and portion of sugar. Bake in an oven preheated to 180C (350F) gas 4 for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.