This cornmeal shortcake, sandwiching juicy peaches, ruby-red strawberries, and fresh whipped cream, is the perfect dessert for a hot day in Savannah, when you are waiting on the porch for a cool breeze to blow.
For the Shortcakes
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, preferably aluminum-free
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the Filling
- 6 ripe peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 recipe Fresh Whipped Cream
How to Make It
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. To make the Shortcakes
- Combine the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk until completely blended. Add the cold butter cubes and, working quickly, cut in the butter with a pastry blender. You should have various-sized pieces of butter, from sandy patches to pea-sized chunks, and some larger bits as well.
- Gradually pour in the buttermilk and gently fold the ingredients until you have a soft dough and there are no longer bits of flour in the bottom of the bowl. Gently pat down the dough with your hands right in the bowl until it resembles a loaf of bread. Dust the top of the dough lightly with flour.
- Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop 6 mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches between them. Flatten the tops with your hands, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the shortcakes are lightly golden, turning the pan halfway through the baking time for even baking. Set on a wire rack to cool. Meanwhile, make the Filling
- Toss the fruit and sugar together in a bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, or up to 3 hours, to allow the fruit to release its juices. To Assemble
- Slice the shortcakes in half. Place the bottom halves on individual plates and spoon about ⅓ cup of the fruit mixture onto each. Add whipped cream to each, then top with the other half of the shortcake. Spoon more fruit on top, followed by whipped cream. Serve immediately.