This savory dish could almost pass for dessert. Creamy, spiced sweet potatoes get a hit of bourbon and a decadent pecan streusel topping. Serve it as a side to pork, lamb, or turkey it steals the show every time. Use fresh ripe peaches or peaches you’ve canned.
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 4 large or 6 medium sweet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 to 3 cups ripe peeled peach slices
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, and butter with a fork until crumbly. Stir in the pecans and set aside. Casserole
- Peel the sweet potatoes, discard the skins, and place the flesh in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla; beat until thoroughly combined. Add the cream and bourbon and continue beating until smooth.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Cover with sliced peaches and finish with remaining sweet potato mixture. Top with the brown sugar topping. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- To make ahead, prepare the casserole, but do not bake. Cover with plastic wrap, and then cover with aluminum foil and freeze. When ready to bake, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Uncover and bake at 350 degrees F, increasing baking time to 45 minutes or slightly longer.