- Yield: 24 (¼-inch) thick cookies
Turmeric, Hibiscus, and Spirulina Frosting
- ½ cup coconut oil, solid
- ½ cup raw honey, liquid, or coconut nectar
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon hibiscus powder
- 1 tablespoon spirulina powder
- ⅓ cup dates, pitted
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons
- Austrian pumpkin seeds, or regular pumpkin seeds
- ¾ cup coconut flakes, macaroon-cut or fine-cut
- Few pinches of nutmeg
- Few pinches of cinnamon
- Few pinches of sea salt
How to Make It
- First, make the three frostings. Blend the coconut oil, honey, and salt in a bowl with a spoon, mixing until fluffy and there are no lumps.
- Divide the frosting into three bowls, and add one of the three powders (turmeric, hibiscus, and spirulina) to each bowl. Mix by hand, until incorporated evenly.
- Chill the frostings for 30 minutes or longer.
- In a food processor, mix all the Spumoni Cookies ingredients, except 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, into a fine crumble.
- Add 2 tablespoons of each frosting to the food processor, and pulse a few times.
- Add 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds to the food processor, and pulse a few times until incorporated.
- Roll the Spumoni Cookies dough into 1-inch balls. Or, for cookies, line an 8 × 8-inch brownie pan with parchment paper, and press the dough into the pan with your hands, then top with another sheet of parchment paper, and roll a straight-sided glass over the top to evenly compact the dough.
- Chill for about 1 hour, then remove from parchment paper, place on a cutting board, and cut into squares. Store chilled.