Steak and chips is elevated to another level with this simplified but sophisticated take on the popular classic.
- 2 lb 4-oz (1 x 1-kg) middle fillet of beef
- ¼ (30 g) stick butter, softened
- 2 tbsp flavourless oil
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- rocket/arugula, to serve
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F) Gas 7.
- Rub the fillet of beef with plenty of salt and pepper, then the butter and the 2 tbsp oil. Heat a large frying pan/skillet over a high heat until very hot. Sear the beef on all sides until browned, then transfer to the centre of a roasting pan. Arrange the garlic cloves around the beef and drizzle with a little oil.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 23–25 minutes for medium-rare. It should feel springy when lightly pressed. When the beef is cooked to your liking, transfer to a warm platter, cover with foil and allow to rest for 10–15 minutes before serving.
- Carve the beef into slices and serve with a rocket/arugula salad garnish and one roasted garlic clove per serving, for guests to squeeze over while eating.