You probably guessed it these were inspired by the typical fast food nuggets. That’s as far as the similarity goes! Our healthy version makes a wonderful light meal or snack. They are full of protein, terrific tasting, and compassionate, too.
- Yield: 10 nuggets, plus ⅓ cup (57 g) sauce
For the Nuggets
- ½ cup (120 ml) unsweetened plain vegan milk
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) cornstarch
- ¾ cup (94 g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons dried parsley
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, plus a pinch
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper, plus a pinch
- 10 Quit-the-Cluck Seitan nuggets
- High heat neutral-flavored oil, for cooking
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup (56 g) vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (3 g) minced fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
How to Make It
To make the Nuggets
- Whisk together the milk, cornstarch, and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Combine the flour, parsley, onion powder, garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon white pepper on a plate. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using one “wet” hand and one “dry” hand, dip each nugget in the milk mixture, then in the flour mixture, coating it well. Place on the lined baking sheet and continue with the remaining nuggets. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours. To make the Sauce
- Whisk the mayonnaise, chives, mustard, and vinegar in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. The sauce can be made up to 24 hours in advance, covered, and refrigerated.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C, or gas mark 2). Pour a thin layer of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet. Heat over high heat. Cook the nuggets (in batches) for 4 to 6 minutes until golden. Reduce the heat to medium-high if the nuggets are browning too much. Turn over to cook the second side for 4 to 6 minutes until also golden. Keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining nuggets in the same way. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.