We serve this in various guises throughout the autumn and winter, depending on what is available. Roasting root vegetables caramelises them slightly and intensifies their natural flavours. We occasionally drizzle them with a little honey before cooking and then finish the dish off with a splash of balsamic vinegar.celeriac
- Yield: 4 Servings
- baking potatoes
- Jerusalem artichokes
- red onions or shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- olive oil for drizzling
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and/or chopped rosemary
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the vegetables and cut them into 3 cm chunks; if you are using beetroot and carrot, cut them slightly smaller, as they take longer to cook. If using onions, simply cut them into quarters, leaving the root on to hold them together; leave shallots whole.
- Parboil the potatoes for 2 minutes, then drain. Put all the vegetables in a roasting tray in a single layer, add the garlic and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with the thyme and/or chopped rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Place in an oven preheated to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 and roast for about 1 hour, turning halfway through, until all the vegetables are tender and browned.