Nothing says comfort food better than a hot bowl of this delicious creamy soup. There are many variations to this dish, and you may want to experiment with different flavor enhancements such as ham, leeks, and carrots.
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds potatoes, with skins, cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chives
How to Make It
- On medium high heat, melt butter in stockpot, add onions, and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper, bring to rolling boil, stirring frequently. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and mash vegetables by hand. Return to stockpot, pour in milk, 1½ cups cheese, and heat over medium heat until cheese has melted. Serve in bowl, garnish with remaining cheese and chives.