We invited Ambrose Price on One Chef One Critic when his HGTV show, The Decorating Adventures of Ambrose Price, was just beginning to take off. He was bursting with enthusiasm and told us all about his filming adventures, and what lay ahead for him. My lasting impression of Ambrose is that he is a man of compassion, with an abiding devotion to family. He’s a “feller from Fortune,” so we decided a dish of poached cod might please him. It did.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 oz (30 ml) butter
- ¼ cup (60 ml) onion, finely chopped
- 4 cod fillets
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 parsley sprigs, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole milk
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated cheddar
- Lightly butter the base of a poaching pan and sprinkle with onion. Layer the cod fillets evenly in the pan. Add white wine to pan. Season with salt and pepper and top with parsley.
- Cover, place pan on burner, bring heat to medium, and poach until fish turns opaque and flakes easily.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a saucepan on medium. Add flour and mix well. Slowly add milk. Stir until it boils and thickens. Add grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Serve cod coated with cheese sauce.