This mouth-wateringly tasty slow roast chicken treat, once prepared, can be left cooking on a low heat while you spend time with your guests or family. When you pair this chicken, with my crunchy roast potatoes and roasted vegetables, it never fails to delight family and guests alike. The chicken just melts in your mouth and that’s the way all good meat should be.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 4 Hours
- Total Time: 4 Hours 15 Minutes
- 4 lb (1.8 kg) whole corn-fed free-range chicken
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 4 sticks of celery
- 1 tsp of dry marjoram
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- 1 cup of drinkable red wine
- 1 whole lemon washed and slit
- 1 tbsp of rough ground rock salt
- Pre heat your oven to 120C (250F). mix the parsley, marjoram and ground black pepper in a mixing bowl until combined. Now add the red wine and stir together. Add to mix into roasting tin and set aside. Make sure that the chicken has no retaining string left in place.
- Now melt the butter and brush all over the chicken, including the crevices between the legs and wings. Next, lightly scatter the rock salt over the chicken.
- Place in the pre-heated oven until the meat is no longer pink and juices run clear. You can extend cooking time to 5 hours in necessary. Remove chicken from the tin, cover with foil and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.