A vegetarian, protein-packed Bolognese sauce heaped over al dente spaghetti and garnished with fresh Parmesan.
- Yield: 6
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 25 ounces tomato passata
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 (14 ounce) cans four bean mix (drained, rinsed)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 pound dried spaghetti
- Parmesan (shaved, to serve)
How to Make It
- In a large saucepan over low heat, heat the oil. Next, add the onion along with the carrot and celery. Cook, while occasionally stirring for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Next, add the garlic and tomato paste and cook, while stirring for 2-3 minutes. Increase the heat to medium, add the red wine, soy sauce and allow the mixture to gently bubble for a few minutes.
- Add the rosemary, bay leaf, passata, and stock. Reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 8 minutes. Add the beans and continue cooking for another 5 minutes, add a little water or stock if you feel the stock is a little thick. Add the parsley, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- In the meantime, cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until the spaghetti is al dente.
- Drain the pasta, toss through the bean bolognese sauce and serve with lots of shaved parmesan cheese.